Thursday, May 20, 2010

Ode to the Okra

I first learned to love Okra when I was a young girl living with my Grandparents in Waynesville, North Carolina. My Grandfather, Ransom Galloway, would plant a garden every year from potatoes, pole beans, corn, tomatoes to grapes, rhubarb and strawberries. This garden was large enough to produce enough food to can and eat till next Spring. The house sat on a hill with an exposed basement so from the backside looked like a two story house. I have a funny memory of my Grandfather looking out the bathroom window with his rifle watching for "that damn rabbit". He was positioned high enough that he could see on top of the garden. Pa Galloway was a very patient man and he would sit in the bathroom till the rabbit ventured out. So, what happens if you happen to need to use the bathroom? You went to the neighbors house....the Albrights, Gibsons, or Ms Clark. If they weren't home, well you went in the woods.
This is a picture of Pa Galloway and his garden is in the background. That real pretty gal standing with her hands crossed is my Mother, Betty. My Grandparents were pretty self sustaining and I sometimes regret not paying closer attention. I am currently going through the hard knocks of trial and error with my vegetable garden. Okra has a longer growing season so I started them in March to be transplanted to the garden in May. My little seedlings are looking good and showing great promise!

Spring of 2010 has come early and everyone is biting at the bite to get those vegetables and flowers in the ground. I confess that I jumped the gun and planted my little Okras. Were doing good, there was a call for frost but I live close enough to Lake Michigan that I was safe. The next morning I went out to check on my babies and they were doing just fine. I can taste my Okra by now and feeling very proud of myself. There was a call for rain and it rained and rained and rained and my little Okras drowned. The garden is on the island and I could just hear the screaming for help. I am back to square one and that is plant seeds and hope there is a harvest with 50 to 75 days to maturity. Last year was my first year growing Okra and I was amazed what a beautiful flower the plant makes. Who would have thought! It is not like the Okra is an attrative vegetable but I will forever love it.


I wish I could tell you that I prepare all kinds of groumet dishes but I don't....I fry it!

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound of fresh okra
  • 2 beaten eggs
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    Crisco

Preparations:

Wash okra and drain well, cut off ends and discard. Cut okra crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. In a bowl beat the eggs then add okra and stir to coat all pieces well. In a shallow dish, combine cornmeal and salt. Dip okra pieces into cornmeal mixture to coalt well. Heat Crisco in cast iron skillet and fry okra until browned, about 4 to 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.


Bon Appetit


























































































2 comments:

  1. That rain was terrible! Turned our garden into a big hard chunk and drowned yours. Not nice. :(

    I am growing okra this year for the first time ever. I bought a red variety (all they had at the garden center) and on the seed package it said maturity was in 55 days so I didn't bother starting them ahead of time. We'll see.... I'm hoping to use them in my garden veggie soup. Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Teresa, I read your post with a great deal of interest. Thank you very much. I believe Laurie Bembenek's case bothers you probably because you know that she was the whistleblower on the "Tracks" parties and you have kept the Tim Maier Shepherd Express article all these years. Is it possible that you could contact me so we can compare notes. Thank you so much. Ira Robins, Investigative Consultant. 414-305-8832 0r irarobins@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete