Friday, May 21, 2010

The Inconvenient Oil Clean-Up

The hot thing in the news these days is the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.  It is an understatement to say this is a terrible situation.  Moving past the political and environmental rhetoric from all the talking heads I began to think about the “what if’s”.  This is natural for me to think this way because as a Project Manager developing a project plan one considers the risks.   Thinking about “what if’s” that could happen while doing the work.  Thinking about if   “this” happens, “then what will we do”?   Developing a mitigation and/or contingency plan is part of de veloping he overall project plan. 

 It seems to me when drilling for oil off shore  one would think about the “what if's" what  happens if this, this, and this happens.  Apparently BP didn't have a mitigation or contingency plan for  if oil begins to spew all over the ocean.   Apparently BP didn't account for a current taking oil and running is around the globe.  Risk taking is necessary for progress  but the impact must be seriously evaluated. Greed blurs the reality of negative impacts.   The speed to market always pushes aside attention to risks and their impact.  This is greed at it's best.
We are seeing greed over common sense more and more these days.  It is not that greed just happened;  it has been growing out of control for a long time.  We have all participated in the greed, knowingly or unknowingly.  I have to honest with myself and admit I have participated in greed.  The strong economy offered me good job with a good income.   I bought clothes, jewelry, a new SUV, took trips, bought latte’s,  indulged myself in personal services, went to dinner with friends, splurged on the yard and garden and generally didn’t think about anyone but myself.  If something broke it was replaced.   This all seemed like a well oiled economic machine and all was good with the world. After all, everyone is doing it we  are all living the American dream. Right?  I read a fortune in a fortune cookie that said:  He who knows he has enough is rich.

Greed is defined as; excessive desire to acquire or possess more (especially more material wealth) than one needs or deserves.

The economic down turn has certainly prompted  the lesson of living within one’s means.   Unemployment has certainly forced me into my means and learning what I can do without.   I read a post and the content reveals a general attitude disregarding  enviornment, conserving energy, and extravgant lifestyle. (just a speculation)

Facebook Post: Just finished a great "carbon footprint" day... Used a gas powered weed wacker, tiller, chain saw, and lawn mower; PLUS put 50+ miles on the motorcycle and finished it off with a family drive (to church) in the SUV. Now I just need to use up an entire can of hair spray outside (what do I need it for) and eat a can of whipped cream.

Friend: make sure it is Aqua Net.
Friend: You must be thirsty. Don't forget to throw away your beer bottle.
Poster: Oh yeah...good points ((I got the best friends, EVER :))

The BP oil crisis has gotten me to think about “what if’s”,  what if  I can’t afford oil produced energy or it is not available.  “What if” the delicate web of dependency begins a domino effect and food source is deminishing?   I don’t think we fully understand how the planet works and think it is an ever ending resource. We are not only living in an economic house of cards but an environmental house cards as well.

I have decided to identify my “what if’s”   in the event speed of greed continues. 

How will I heat my house?
How will I have electricity?
How will I get water from my well?
How will I get food?
What do I do when my holding tank is full?
How will I wash my clothes?
If something breaks how will it get fixed?

This is all very overwhelming for one person to think about so I will put my head back in the sand.   I guess as long as a crisis is happening some where else and not impacting me,  why should I have a plan B?     

No comments:

Post a Comment