Thursday, April 14, 2011

Mailbox verses Snowplow

The month of April brings a hugh sigh of relief, Winter is over.  The snow is melted and buds are ready to burst everywhere.  I paid attention one day to Winter's collateral damage...the mail box.  They are leaning, broken, laying in the ditch and missing all together.  I fell victim last Winter when a snowplow launched my mail box into the middle of my front yard.   I am sure there is a calulation on, if the snowplow goes at X miles an hours and the blade is at Y angle  = velocity.  All I know it is the flying snow is strong enough to produce the scenes I have documented.

This  is of my mailbox  after being blown away by the snowplow.  Oh yeah, the salt from years of snow removal did a nice job on the paint.



Most  mailboxes sit on the road with a traumatized lean.




This is just plain pitiful. 


Last year I learn from the Post Office Nazi  that I have to have a mailbox.  Really, it is Winter and the ground if frozen.  When I asked for advice  I was told to get a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with sand.  Oh yeah, that worked.  I spent the remaining Winter picking up my mailbox and setting it back by the road.  Some of my neighbors used a 50 gallon drum.. it works so well they keep all year round. 


This looks like the David and Goliath of the mailboxes.  David is not looking so good.  This is what happens when you use  5 gallon drum.


It is interesting to see how people try dealing with the snow velocity.  Actually, I am thinking a good Spring rain storm and this mailbox is toast.


This apparently works because in all the 10 years I have live in Ozaukee County this mailbox has never moved.

You have to love it, "I dare you" approach.  Classific, a target.

This is my mailbox here at the ranch.  My new approach is a break away post.  The hope is, when the snowplow comes down the road winging snow at breakneck velocity, only the top will take the brunt.  In the dead of Winter it will be easier to brace the mailbox back on.   This Winter past without incidence  and I didn't have to test the theory.   I am proud to say my mailbox has the best posture on the road. 
 

1 comment:

  1. And the best reflectors! I can always tell your's by the yellow stripes! :)

    So glad to see you back blogging again!!!

    ReplyDelete