Sunday, November 21, 2010

Run Bambi Run

Can't explain it but I have been haunted by Lawrencia's sentence of guilty.   The summer of 1979 my boyfriend took me to a picnic in Lincoln Park.  A friend of his owned the Tracks and this was the second year for his bar’s picnic. My boyfriend was very excited and said it would be fun and I wouldn't believe was I would see.  He was correct I didn’t believe what I saw.  There were lots of drinking, pot smoking, loud music and wet t-shirt contests.  One of the contests was about to begin just as we arrived.  People were putting together picnic tables to be used as a runway.  There was a big crowd gathering around.  T-shirts (white) were given to the woman who volunteered for the contest.  Once they were wet they would strut up and down the tables gyrating in response to the crowd.  While this was going I was looking around at the whole situation.  When I looked behind me there were three Milwaukee City Police cars and the Officers were sitting on the hoods.  The crowd was just wild and the woman who got naked was the winner.  While this woman was naked I turned to see what the police were doing?  Were they coming?  Would I be arrested for being at a picnic where there were drugs and nudity?  It was strange because the police were doing nothing.  They were enjoying the naked woman just like everyone else.   Later the guys had their turn and had a wet jock contest….guess who was the winner?   The Shepherd Express published this article in the late 80's.  As the Milwaukee Police Officers were watching one of their brothers was struting his stuff.

I always believed Lawrencia was innocent.  Enjoy the article.

No comments:

Post a Comment