Thursday, August 27, 2009

I Got Friends

Since I have been unemployed I have seen, heard, and read about social networking. There are a bazillion ways for us to communicate at the speed of a thought so we can react at the speed of a knee jerk. I am very excited about this new technology and want to engage. I am having a hard time of figuring out how to integrate these technologies into my every day life.

I would like to use social media with my circle of influence but here is my dilemma; my peers are duds. Yes duds! Most of them have a computer and use it for surfing the internet, shop or look up something medical. Only a few send emails and when they do it has, FWD:FWD:FWD and then the subject which is usually one of those urban legends. You know the ones that condemn you to eternal bad karma if you don’t forward to 15 more people. I have begged and pleaded to please stop sending me these emails but they continue to show up in my inbox. God…please help them figure out how to remove me from their distribution lists; which by the way, I am impressed they created a distribution list in the first place.

Now, I don’t know where my mind was when I set up a Facebook account, as Facebook is all about friends. I have friends and family and some who live out-of-state so I sent them a request to join Facebook. I thought it would be fun way to keep in touch and share what’s been going on with each other. I waited and waited and no one joined my Facebook page. I felt like the unpopular kid in school…my page had no friends ;~(

I tried to educate them on the functionality of Facebook and the benefits, like sharing pictures and videos. I got a lot of push back, as they didn’t want the whole universe to see their stuff. Here is another technology challenge…. They use cameras that use film. Then they go to Wal-Mart and use the kiosk to print out hard copies. OMG! This hurts me. So, I gave up on them and have all their kids as my Facebook friends. Now here is the reality with this; I know all the details of their day…really!

I would like to acknowledge, Jackie, Pam, Karen and Kay. These ladies have crossed the line and live wildly on the .net

1 comment:

  1. OMG...I so feel your pain. Like you, my friends (the few that I have) are duds and do not use the social networking opportunities like we do. UGH...what is wrong with our generation? I keep looking for people I went to school with and come up empty handed. So again, like you, I am friends with my kids friends and the kids of my friends. It's all pretty sad! What can we do?

    ReplyDelete