Thursday, August 13, 2009

Child of Change

Change has been the basis of my life. I was the oldest child of a career US Navy Father. I was born in Oakland, Ca and the following are the address since:

Keller St, Waynesville, NC
Norfolk, VA
Keller St, Waynesville, NC
C St, Ramey Air Force Base, Puerto Rico
V St, Ramey Air Force Base, Puerto Rico
Shelton St, Waynesville, NC
Off Base in Keflavik, Iceland
On Base at Air Base, Keflavik, Iceland
Montgomery County, Maryland
Hazelwood St, Waynesville, NC
Webster St, Men Riv , Charleston, SC
Pagoda Inn, Waukegan, IL
First Apartment, Waukegan, IL
35th St, Milwaukee, WI
Martha Washington Dr, Wawatosa, WI
Wilson Dr, Shorewood, Milwaukee, WI
74th Center St, Wawatosa, WI
Fulton St, Milwaukee, WI
Pryor Ave, Milwaukee, WI
27th Loomis Rd, Milwaukee, WI
Hyw 100 Loomis Rd, Milwaukee, WI
Witte Lane, Glendale, WI
Idaho St, Milwaukee, WI
4380 Pioneer Road, Cedarburg, WI.

This is 25 moves in 54 years, 13 schools, loss of 9 best friends, and17 jobs. This is the greatest gift a person can have or the most traumatic experience.

It didn’t take me long to adapt to change and the unknown. The turning point was in the third school, in the 2nd grade. At recess I realized I needed to go over to some girls who were jumping rope and asked if I could play with them. It was a positive experience as they said, “Come on and it is your turn to jump the rope.” After this I have never been afraid of taking the first step. I knew it will be O.K.

I learned social tolerance. In living outside the United States in other countries I experience different social norms and values. I learned not to fear different ways to eat, play, work, and worship. My Mother taught me that this is how they live and this is how we live…there is no right or wrong. I have taken this with me into my adult life where I live social tolerance. The only real test I have ever had is dealing with my South Baptist, Evangelical, Republican relatives! God Bless then and those who fear change.

No comments:

Post a Comment