Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My Favorite Summer Solstice



My Dad was stationed in Reykjavik, Iceland during the Vietnam War participating in ocean surveillance.   This is old technology for listening and identifying enemy ships, types and locations.   While as a child I didn’t know what he did  nor did I care,  I was having too much fun being a kid in a foreign land.   I have many wonderful memories and the one  that comes to mind is living in the land of the midnight sun.   It was so cool to be out playing kickball, jumping rope, and hanging out with friends on the playground at 10:00PM with the sun is bright in the sky.   The day before, the day of, and the day after the Summer Solstice the sun never set.   It would be a constant sunset for a couple of hours and the sun would be back up for a sunny 1:30AM.   This provided way more time to enjoy summer vacation before school started again.

However, my Mother hated it because she couldn't sleep will all the day light so she put tinfoil on her bedroom windows.   It almost blinded the neighbors across the street with the reflection of the sun.   Needless to say, the Winter Solstice was just the opposite and made it  intriguing to be out playing after dark......3:30 in the afternoon.   Very fun times in a foreign land.

1 comment:

  1. What a life you have, and have had, Teresa. All this gives us the wonderful You! I love the images these stories leave in my head. :)

    Hmmm. I may try the "tinfoil on the window trick," the next time the "kids" across the street try the "Hey, let's scare the old lady across the street, working at her desk, at night, by shining this red laser pointer in her face trick."

    Of course, it would also just be a fun thing to do. Although, I do feel bad for your Mom's sleeping disturbances...

    ReplyDelete